ELSO Speaking Groups Program
You are here
About the Speaking Groups Program
Join the English Language Support Office’s Speaking Groups Program as a participant or facilitator to make meaningful connections across campus in weekly small group discussions. Groups can make their own arrangements to meet on or off campus for conversations, games or local excursions.
Look below to learn how you can join a group this Fall 2017!
Why Join the SGP?
Why should I join the ELSO Speaking Groups Program (SGP)?
- To gain more linguistic confidence and increase opportunities for meaningful interactions in English
- To be a part of an academic community and build connections across campus by meeting with others from a range of programs, disciplines, and backgrounds
- To share your linguistic, cultural, and research knowledge
- To learn from the linguistic, cultural, and research knowledge of others
- To develop a greater understanding and acceptance of diverse populations who are all part of Cornell's global community
To Lead a Speaking Groups Program This Fall 2017 (facilitators)
Do you like working with international students and learning from others with different life experiences? Have you traveled abroad or are planning to? Are you interested in learning about other cultures? Join the English Language Support Office’s Speaking Groups Program this fall as a Discussion Facilitator!
Facilitators commit for 8-weeks of a semester to help lead and organize small weekly 1-hour discussions with international graduate students. This program brings together international graduate students and fluent English speakers for language support and conversations about culture, academic interests, and campus life.
To be a facilitator, you need to be a Cornell undergraduate student, staff member, graduate student, post-doc, or faculty, should be fluent in English and have knowledge of US culture. The group participants are international graduate students from diverse programs, diverse linguistic backgrounds, and at diverse points in their graduate careers. The goal is to improve English speaking skills while making meaningful connections across campus in weekly small group discussions.
To learn more, you can come to the SGP Facilitator Fall 2017 Information Session on Friday, September 1 at 3pm (location TBA) and complete this short form to let us know you will be joining us. If you are interested in becoming a facilitator, you will need to:
- complete a SGP Facilitator application by September 7.
- attend an initial orientation meeting, a mid-semester meeting, and final reception
- commit for 8-weeks of the semester to help organize and facilitate small, weekly discussion groups with international graduate students
- maintain brief documentation of meeting dates and attendance for program records
To Join a Speaking Group This Fall 2017 (participants)
Return to ELSO homepage
To return to the ELSO homepage, click here.