M.Eng. Summer English Immersion Program
You are here
About the M.Eng Summer English Immersion Program
Master of engineering programs are fast-paced and require students to very quickly engage with speaking-intensive courses, networking, and other social situations. For those seeking a job or internship in the US, the search process starts early in the semester and requires high fluency in English. To help you start the fall semester strong, Cornell Master of Engineering programs have collaborated with the Cornell English Language Support Office to offer a four-week summer English immersion program designed exclusively for incoming international M.Eng students.
By the end of this program, students are:
- more confident and fluent as English speakers
- knowledgable about Cornell services and programs
- acclimated to US culture and academic life at Cornell
- able to navigate Cornell’s campus and the Ithaca area
- ready to start their degree programs
- prepared to search for a job or internship
What This Program Includes
This program is designed to focus on the oral communication skills and aspects of US culture that professional masters students need for success in academic and professional settings. This program includes:
- interactive and engaging courses on English pronunciation, presentation skills, discussion, and US academic culture taught by experienced and credentialed professionals in teaching ESL
- social events including tours of campus and Ithaca, local music, shopping areas, restaurants, and parks
- ongoing private tutoring to strengthen pronunciation skills and improve your confidence in communicating in English
- presentations on campus resources specific to the international M.Eng. student experience
- job search preparation, including coaching on writing resumes and cover letters, interviewing, and networking
- familiarization with the city bus system, grocery stores, and other places of importance to daily life
What Students Say about This Program
Testimony from 2017 M.Eng Summer English Immersion Program Students:
"This program enhanced my English skills, both in academics such as presentations and writing resumes, and outside the classroom through social activities. I have more confidence to speak English with other people. I like this program and wish it lasted longer than four weeks!"
"Because of this program, I am confident to speak English now. And I feel I have overcome culture shock! And I feel I am familiar with different facilities at Cornell."
"I benefited from every aspect of this program and most importantly I feel ready for the fall semester."
"This program gave me a really good chance to make good friends. And I was able to get familiar with American academic culture before the fall semester starts."
"This program helped me improve my English skills, and gave me knowledge about campus services, Ithaca and finding a job."
"This program allowed me to make friends with many classmates, improve my pronunciation skills, and become used to life in Ithaca.”
Summer 2018 Program Details
Program dates: July 13 to August 10, 2018
Eligibility: All incoming international students accepted into Cornell M.Eng, MS, or MPS programs who are required to submit TOEFL scores
Visa information: Participants will be issued an I-20 with a summer start date so that you can apply for your visa and arrive early.
Program fee: $3950 (this does not include room and board or student health insurance)
Registration deadline: April 16, 2018
Registration fee deadline: April 23, 2018
How to Register
To register for this program, click here. Registrations are accepted until April 16, 2018. The registration fee is due by April 23, 2018. We encourage students to apply and pay the registration fee as soon as possible, so that visas are processed and issued in time for the start of the program. Students are who are unable to secure visas in time due to circumstances outside of their control are eligible to receive refunds.
Return to ELSO Homepage
To return to the ELSO homepage, click here.