Cornell Writing Centers
The Cornell Writing Centers (CWC) offer free, one-on-one writing tutoring for all Cornell students. For fall 2021, we are excited to offer both in-person tutoring and synchronous virtual tutoring, both of which begin on Monday, September 13!
For location-based tutoring, writers can either walk-in or schedule an appointment online via https://cornell.mywconline.net/ Appointments are necessary for all virtual tutoring. Watch the video on our scheduling login page to see a quick demo of how to “show up” for a virtual appointment.
Writing Centers tutors are trained undergraduate students from across the disciplines who can work with you to:
- Understand what an assignment is asking for in terms of writing;
- Brainstorm ideas for getting started on a new assignment;
- Develop stronger ideas, arguments, claims, and source-use in essay drafts;
- Read drafts in order to locate writing issues and develop strategies for revision;
- Incorporate sources and evidence responsibly and effectively;
- Consider questions of depth, analysis, organization, audience expectation, paragraph development, and style;
- Identify patterns of error in grammar or usage in order to develop strategies for line-editing.
All CWC tutors are trained to support anyone working on application statements or multilingual writers working on writing in English.
While we are excited to be back in-person, we ask for your patience and flexibility this semester, as we may need to shift in-person hours to virtual appointments in response to COVID-19 campus cases and staffing needs.
CWC Locations & Hours
- 108 Uris Library (in-person & online)
- 403 Olin Library (in-person & online)
- Online Shifts, via WC Online
Sundays, Tuesdays & Thursdays, 7:00-10:00
- 103* Robert Purcell Community Center (in-person only)
- Mann Library Consultation Area (in-person & online)
- 178* Rockefeller Hall (in-person & online)
*The Rockefeller and RPCC rooms may change, depending on need and availability. When using these locations, please look around for our signs!
Full Semester Schedule
First Day of Tutoring: Monday, September 13
Last Day of Regular Tutoring Schedule: Tuesday, December 7
- Fri. Oct. 8—Tues. Oct. 12 | Fall Break (tutoring resumes Wed. Oct. 13)
- Mon. Nov. 22—Sun. Nov. 28 | Thanksgiving Break (tutoring resumes Mon. Nov. 29)
Exams Tutoring [only in Rock 178 & online]
- 3:00-5:00 Dec. 8-10, and Dec. 13-17
Follow the CWC on Social Media
Want to know more about the Cornell Writing Centers? Follow us on social media where you’ll see scheduling updates, writing tips, tutor spotlights, and more @