FWS Ballot Selection | Fall 2018
The John S. Knight Institute for Writing in the Disciplines offers First-Year Writing Seminars (FWS) in one of the oldest and most interdisciplinary undergraduate writing programs in the world: each semester, more than 200 different courses are taught in more than 30 departments and programs located in the humanities, social sciences, expressive arts, and sciences. More than 3,000 students from across the university enroll each year in classes that are often the most diverse mix of students offered at the university, with small classes no larger than 17 or 18 students, from all seven colleges.
Click here to view all First-Year Writing Seminars available for Fall 18.
- Fall 2018 First-Year Writing Seminar Brochure will be online by July 3, 2018.
- FWS Balloting begins on July 9, 9:00 am and ends on July 17, at 11:59 pm.
- FWS will appear on your schedule by Monday, July 23rd.
- Electronic Add/Drop for FWS starts Wednesday, August 22nd. See directions below.
*This date applies to freshmen, sophomores, and first-semester transfer students.
- Writing seminars begin Thursday, August 23rd.
- The last day to add an FWS is Wednesday, September 6th.
Electronic Add/Drop for First-Year Writing Seminars
FWS Add/Drop enrollment must be done electronically through Student Center. Neither instructors nor registrars can approve additional enrollment into any First-Year Writing Seminar. Caps on enrollment cannot be lifted. There are no wait-lists or forms to sign; do not ask an instructor about adding a seminar. Instructors will not allow any student not on the roster to sit in on a First-Year Writing Seminar.
To find open First-Year Writing Seminars during the Add/Drop period:
- Go to Student Center.
- At the search screen, click on “Additional Search Criteria.”
- Choose “FWS Session” from the “Session” field. This will show you all open FWS classes.
A First-Year Writing Seminar is open ONLY if it appears in this list. Check frequently, because the list can change.