SPEAC for International Graduate Students
You are here
About SPEAC for International Graduate Students
SPEAC stands for Summer Program of English and Culture for International Graduate Students. It was formerly known as M.Eng. Summer Program for International Students.
Master's programs at Cornell are fast-paced and require students to very quickly engage with speaking-intensive courses, networking, and other social situations. For those seeking a job or internship in the US, the search process starts early in the semester and requires high fluency in English. To ensure you are prepared for the fall 2019 semester, Cornell Master of Engineering programs have collaborated with the Cornell English Language Support Office to offer a four-week summer English immersion program designed exclusively for incoming international master's students in Engineering or Computer Information Science.
By the end of this program, students are:
- more confident and fluent as English speakers
- knowledgable about Cornell services and programs
- acclimated to US culture and academic life at Cornell
- able to navigate Cornell’s campus and the Ithaca area
- ready to start their degree programs
- prepared to search for a job or internship
What This Program Includes
This program is designed to focus on the oral communication skills and aspects of US culture that professional masters students need for success in academic and professional settings. This program includes:
- interactive and engaging courses on English pronunciation, presentation skills, discussion, and US academic culture taught by experienced and credentialed professionals in teaching ESL
- social events including tours of campus and Ithaca, local music, shopping areas, restaurants, and parks
- ongoing private tutoring to strengthen pronunciation skills and improve your confidence in communicating in English
- presentations on campus resources specific to the international M.Eng. student experience
- job search preparation, including coaching on writing resumes and cover letters, interviewing, and networking
- familiarization with the city bus system, grocery stores, and other places of importance to daily life
What Students Say about This Program
Testimony from 2017 M.Eng Summer English Immersion Program Students:
"This program enhanced my English skills, both in academics such as presentations and writing resumes, and outside the classroom through social activities. I have more confidence to speak English with other people. I like this program and wish it lasted longer than four weeks!"
"Because of this program, I am confident to speak English now. And I feel I have overcome culture shock! And I feel I am familiar with different facilities at Cornell."
"I benefited from every aspect of this program and most importantly I feel ready for the fall semester."
"This program gave me a really good chance to make good friends. And I was able to get familiar with American academic culture before the fall semester starts."
"This program helped me improve my English skills, and gave me knowledge about campus services, Ithaca and finding a job."
"This program allowed me to make friends with many classmates, improve my pronunciation skills, and become used to life in Ithaca.”
Summer 2019 Program Details
For details about the 2019 SPEAC program, visit the SPEAC Program's Engineering webpages: http://www.engineering.cornell.edu/speac
Return to ELSO Homepage
To return to the ELSO homepage, click here.