Health Careers Applications Tutoring
You are here
HEALTH CAREERS APPLICATIONS TUTORING
Writing support for students applying to medical and dental school.
Drafting your Personal Statement?
Sign up for a Writing Consultation!
Looking for tips on how to get started with a PERSONAL STATEMENT?
Watch this video tutorial with Cornell Writing Tutor Jayme Kilburn:
Summer 2021 Schedule
First day of operations: Monday, May 17
Last day of operations: Friday, July 30
Writing Consultants are available throughout the summer to work with Cornell students and alum who are preparing applications to medical and dental school. Our writing consultants are experienced writing instructors who listen patiently, read thoughtfully, and offer considerate, supportive, and challenging feedback on personal statements and supplemental essays at ANY stage of the drafting process.
Writing consultants are available throughout the summer to discuss your personal statements and supplemental essays at ANY stage of the drafting process. This summer, our writing consultants are Zach Grobe (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Jayme Kilburn (email@example.com), experienced writing teachers and tutors who listen patiently, read thoughtfully, and offer considerate, supportive, and challenging feedback.
During a HCEC writing consultation, writing consultant, Zach Grobe (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Jayme Kilburn (email@example.com), may help medical/dental school applicants to:
- get started with personal statements and supplemental essays by reading and discussing writing prompts, evaluating personal, academic, and clinical experiences, brainstorming outlines.
- explore ways to shape coherent arguments, make strong use of evidence, work within restrictive word-length requirements.
- consider questions about depth of analysis, organization, thesis statements, audience expectations, paragraph development, style, sentence structure.
- identify patterns of errors in grammar or usage and develop effective strategies for line-editing.
- Bring 1 essay per 30-minute session; schedule additional sessions as necessary.
- Bring 2 specific questions; sessions are most productive when you are an active participant.
- Seek out multiple perspectives; you may meet no more than 3 times with the same tutor on the same essay.
Come WRITE with us!