You are here
Graduate Writing Service @ Cornell
FOR GRADUATE STUDENTS, POST-DOCS, AND FACULTY
International graduate students should also explore ELSO Tutoring Services
CLOSED FOR THE SUMMER
Graduate students, post-docs, and faculty are invited to visit
June 24- August 1
Klarman Hall 42 & 44
For more information or to make an appointment
Teaching materials (syllabi, writing assignments & lesson plans)
Strategies for responding to student writing
GWS tutors -- experienced writers and teachers of writing from multiple disciplines -- are available weekdays and evenings to work with Cornell graduate students, post-docs, and faculty to refine and develop strategies for drafting and revising writing projects and teaching materials.
Writers and teachers of writing can schedule 30- or 60-minute face-to-face meetings and online appointments (using a video and messaging platform). Tutors can also provide written feedback on drafts through our eTutoring system.
Schedule appointments @ https://cornell.mywconline.com
Meet our tutors @ https://knight.as.cornell.edu/gws-tutoring-staff
During a GWS session, tutors may help writers to:
- get started with writing projects and teaching artifacts by brainstorming organizational schemes, evaluating materials, defining research questions.
- explore ways to shape coherent arguments, make strong use of evidence, work with appropriatecitation conventions.
- consider questions about depth of analysis, organization, thesis statements, paragraph development, audience expectations, style, sentence structure.
- identify patterns of error in grammar or usage in order to develop efective strategies for line editing.
Feedback and Resources
- Have you visited the Graduate Writing Service recently? Would you like to offer us your feedback? Click here: GWS Feedback.
- For answers to questions about the Service or if you need special assistance, contact Dr. Tracy Hamler Carrick, Knight Institute Writing Workshop Director and Graudate Writing Service Director.
- Download our Editing Policy HERE
- Download our Writing Resources Handout HERE