The Writing Centers
You are here
Fall 2018 Writing Centers:
Hours & Locations
General Tutoring | Writing Support for Undergrad & Grad Students
Mondays - Thursdays, 3:30-5:30pm
- 178 Rockefeller
- Mann Library Consultation Area
Sundays - Thursdays, 7:00-10:00pm
- 403 Olin Library
- 108 Uris Library
- 3343 Tatkon Center
New West Campus Location: Flora Rose House
- Sundays 7:00-10:00pm & Thursdays 7:00-9:00pm
- Room: 121 Rose Main, Flora Rose House
- Tutor: Zach Grobe
- Walk-ins or sign up for an appointment @ https://cornell.mywconline.net
General Semester Tutoring Schedule:
- General Tutoring Starts: Tuesday, September 4
- Closed during Fall Break, Oct. 5 - 9th
- Closed for Thanksgiving Break, Nov. 20-25th
- Sign up for an appointment @ https://cornell.mywconline.net
- Contact: Kate Navickas (ken43)
OADI Writing Tutoring | Writing Support for Students from EOP/HEOP, McNair, OADI Research Scholars, and P3 Programs
- June 25 - August 31
- Tuesdays | 12:00pm - 2:00pm
- Thursdays | by appointment
- Drop in 200 CCC or
- Sign up for an appointment @ https://oadi.cornell.edu (click "Contact" at bottom right side of site.)
- Contact: Kristen Angierski (kna4)
How to Make an Appointment
Anyone can stop by during regular WC hours without an appointment. We love walk-ins! However, if you'd prefer to make an appointment, here's how you do it:
- Go to: https://cornell.mywconline.net
- Click on "Register for an Account" and follow the prompts to create a login and password.
- Under "Choose a Schedule," select WRITING TUTORIALS for a standard appointment or MULTILINGUAL WRITING TUTORIALS for a more specialized support.
- Login using your new login and password, with the appropriate schedule selected.
- Locate a location and day/time on the schedule that you wish to attend. The WHITE blocks represent available appointments, whereas the BLUE blocks in the schedule have already been taken.
- Click on a WHITE block and then fill out some basic information about what you're working on in order to confirm your appointment.
We look forward to working with you!
What We Do
Formerly the Writing Walk-In Services, the Cornell Writing Centers offer the support of trained graduate and undergraduate tutors five days a week, Sunday through Thursday, to discuss specific pieces of writing or questions about writing. At the Writing Centers (WC), writers will be greeted by engaged and engaging peers who listen patiently, read thoughtfully, and offer considerate, supportive, and challenging feedback.
Cornell undergraduate and graduate students can visit any one of our five campus locations from time to time or on a regular basis when they want one-on-one support to refine and develop strategies for drafting effective academic essays. Writers of all levels of experience and ability can benefit from such individualized attention.
During a WC session, writing tutors may help writers to:
- get started with writing projects by reading and discussing a writing assignment, evaluating research material, brainstorming an outline.
explore ways to shape coherent arguments, make strong use of evidence, work with appropriate citation conventions.
consider questions about depth of analysis, organization, thesis statements, audience expectations, paragraph development, style, sentence structure.
identify patterns of errors in grammar or usage in order to develop effective strategies for line-editing.
Although writing tutors are happy to address large issues of focus and organization, they can only work with small portions of text (no more than 5 pages) during a typical 30-minute session.
Want to learn more about the Cornell Writing Centers and get some great writing tips? Follow us on social media!
Feedback & Questions
Have you visited the Cornell Writing Centers recently? Would you like to offer us your feedback? Click here: WC Feedback