About this program
The Write Together at Home Program provides graduate students, professional students, and postdocs with community, structure, and resources to support their writing. This fully-online program is designed to help you establish writing practices and peer writing networks that will sustain your writing throughout the summer.
This four-week program (May 30-June 23, 2023) includes the following components:
Writing Group Meetings: This program is anchored by writing groups: small supportive writing communities. Each week, small groups will meet to discuss writing goals, progress, and challenges. All participants will be placed in stable small groups of 5 writers based on responses to the program registration form. Writing Groups will meet on Zoom at the start of each week.
Write-Ins: Write-ins provide structure and community for writers. Each write-in starts and ends with check-ins on writing goals, and is structured by Pomodoros – blocks of focused distraction-free writing time. This program will offer multiple online two-hour write-ins during the week.
Consultations with writing tutors: Tutoring sessions provide opportunities to meet individually with a graduate writing consultant to talk through a writing challenge or receive feedback on a draft. The four graduate program facilitators—all experienced tutors from the Graduate Writing Service and the English Language Support Office—will be offering tutoring sessions on Zoom throughout the week.
Canvas site: This program uses a dedicated Canvas site to communicate with participants, and provide writing resources and materials.
To be eligible for this program, you must be:
a Cornell (Ithaca campus) graduate student, professional student, or post-doc through the month of June (not alumni; not a Cornell Tech student)
currently working on a writing project
- primarily seeking writing community, structured writing time, and writing motivation (rather than writing instruction or review of your drafts)
able to commit to attending a weekly one-hour writing group meeting (May 30, June 5, June 12, and June 20).
To join this program
o join, complete a program registration form by Friday, May 19. Click here to register.
- May 19: Registration deadline
- May 25: Notifications will be sent to registrants. Group assignments will be made and communicated to accepted students. Program Canvas site will go live.
- May 30: WTAH program begins with writing group meetings.
This program is being offered by the Knight Institute for Writing in the Disciplines, as a collaboration between the Graduate Writing Service and English Language Support Office.
The program graduate facilitators are:
- Katherine Baker, Writing & Presenting Consultant, English Language Support Office
- Amanda Domingues, Writing & Presenting Consultant, English Language Support Office
- Rachel Horner, Writing Consultant, Graduate Writing Service
- Kelly Richmond, Writing Consultant, Graduate Writing Service
Program staff includes:
- Michelle Crow, Director, English Language Support Office
- Tracy Hamler Carrick, Director, Writing Workshop and Graduate Writing Service
- Amanda Munson, Program Assistant, English Language Support Office
Questions may be directed to Michelle Crow (firstname.lastname@example.org).