On This Page
FWS Instructor Workshops & Resources
You are here
KNIGHTLYnews: Notes from the FWS Classroom
Check out the KNIGHTLYnews: Notes from the FWS Classroom, an online forum for FWS instructors and other teachers of writing to swap and share ideas for best classroom practice. Weekly posts are designed to help teachers develop lesson plans and writing assignments, and respond to classroom challenges by introducing new teaching tools and sharing emerging pedagogical ideas. Posts also direct readers to program and campus resources that support teaching and learning, and provide opportunities for peer collaboration and mentorship.
Spring 2021 FWS Instructor Workshops
Meet up with other spring semester FWS instructors to brainstorm and exchange icebreaker activities and first assignments, and/or to troubleshoot lesson plans or Canvas set up and design. Drop in when you can and stay as long as you like.
We will upload workshop materials to the FWS Instructor Sandbox Canvas Site where we host FWS Assignment Archives and other useful resources. Follow this link to a GoogeDoc that compiles resources shared during our Fall 2020 FWS Instructor Workshop | First Day/Icebreaker Idea Swap.
Contact Jennifer Janke (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions and ideas.
Archive of Fall 2020 FWS Instructor Workshops
- First Day/Icebreaker Idea Swap (GoogleDoc: Carrick, 2020)
- Peer Review Activity Idea Swap (GoogleDoc: Faulkner/Carrick, 2020)
- Facilitating Discussions Idea Swap (GoogleDoc: King-O'Brien/Carrick, 2020)
- Revising Sentences: Paragraph Clarity for Multilingual Writers (GoogleDoc: Sands/Carrick, 2020)
- Teaching Research/Research Papers Idea Swap (GoogleDoc: Navickas, 2020)
- Reading & Responding to Challenging Writing Idea Swap (GoogleDoc: Carrick/Zukovic, 2020)
- Balancing Sync & Async Idea Swap (GoogleDoc: Carrick/Andrews, 2020)
Archive of Summer 2020 FWS Instructor Workshops
- Virtual FWS Classroom Walk-Throughs (Videos: Navickas, Carrick, Shapiro, King-O'Brien, Sprenkle, 2020)
- Teaching with the Johnson (Video: Sweet, 2020)
Canvas Sites for FWS Instructor Collaboration
- FWS Instructor Sandbox Find here pedagogical resources that can help you develop an online platform for your FWS -- whether you are interested in building a remote-access, fully online course or in simply developing a robust Learning Management System (LMS) to support multimodal instruction for an in-person or hybrid course. You'll find start-up tips and guidelines for recommended digital tools, links to campus and Knight Institute resources, videos of teaching demonstrations and workshops, and detailed lesson plans and activities that you can import directly into your FWS Canvas site.
- FWS Online Scenarios Find here a plan for online or hybrid writing instruction that includes six scenarios reflecting core aspects of the mission and learning outcomes of the Cornell First-Year-Writing Seminar. These scenarios can be combined to set up a syllabus and to design an instructional system for an online or hybrid FWS on any topic.
- Hypothes.is (Digital Social Annotation Tool) Test out with colleagues this social annotation tool that allows for sentence-level note taking or critique on top of classroom reading, news, blogs, scientific articles, books, terms of service, ballot initiatives, legislation and more.
- Feedback Fruits (Peer Review Tool) A test environment for the Summer/Fall 2020 pilot of the FeedbackFruits learning app where you will be able to participate in building your test assignments.
Campus Resources for Teaching & Learning
- Learning Online (Cornell, Learning Strategies Center)
- Fall 2020 Course Preparation & Teaching Scenarios (Cornell, Center for Teaching Innovation)
- Teaching International Students: Tips for Online Instruction (Global Cornell)
- Mentoring and Supporting International Scholars | Video Recording (Panel discussion hosted by the Office of Faculty Development and Diversity)
- Guidance for Faculty: How to Get and Stay Connected with International Students | (Cox, 2020)