The Writing Centers
You are here
What We Do
Formerly the Writing Walk-In Services, the Cornell Writing Centers offer the support of trained graduate and undergraduate tutors five days a week, Sunday through Thursday, to discuss specific pieces of writing or questions about writing. At the Writing Centers (WC), writers will be greeted by engaged and engaging peers who listen patiently, read thoughtfully, and offer considerate, supportive, and challenging feedback.
Cornell undergraduate students can visit any one of our five campus locations from time to time or on a regular basis when they want one-on-one support to refine and develop strategies for drafting effective academic essays. Writers of all levels of experience and ability can benefit from such individualized attention.
During a WC session, writing tutors may help writers to:
- get started with writing projects by reading and discussing a writing assignment, evaluating research material, brainstorming an outline.
explore ways to shape coherent arguments, make strong use of evidence, work with appropriate citation conventions.
consider questions about depth of analysis, organization, thesis statements, audience expectations, paragraph development, style, sentence structure.
identify patterns of errors in grammar or usage in order to develop effective strategies for line-editing.
Although writing tutors are happy to address large issues of focus and organization, they can only work with small portions of text (no more than 5 pages) during a typical 30-minute session.
Want to learn more about the Cornell Writing Centers and get some great writing tips? Follow us on social media!
Spring 2018 Schedule
First day of operations: Monday, February 5th
Last day of operations: Wednesday, May 9tyh
Closed during February Break: Friday Feb. 16th through Tuesday Feb. 20th
Tutoring Resumes: Wednesday Feb. 21st
Closed during Spring Break: Friday March 30th through Sunday April 8th
Tutoring Resumes: Monday, April 9th
Extended Exam Period Hours, only held 3:30-5:30 in Rockefeller 178:
- Thursday, May 10
- Friday, May 11
- Monday, May 14
- Tuesday, May 15
- Wednesday, May 16
- Thursday, May 17
- Friday, May 18
- Monday, May 19
Fall & Spring Locations
Drop in at any one of our 5 locations, or Schedule An Appointment online.
- 178 Rockefeller Hall
- Mann Library Consultation Area
- 3343 Tatkon Center
- 108 Uris Library
- 403 Olin Library
How to Make an Appointment
Anyone can stop by any of the above locations during regular WC hours without an appointment. We love walk-ins! However, if you'd prefer to make an appointment, here's how you do it:
- Go to: https://cornell.mywconline.net/
- Click on "Register for an Account" and follow the prompts to create a login and password.
- Under "Choose a Schedule," select WRITING TUTORIALS for a regular appointment or PERSONAL STATEMENTS & APPLICATION MATERIALS or MULTILINGUAL WRITING TUTORIALS for a more specialized tutoring appointment.
- Login using your new login and password, with the appropriate schedule selected.
- Locate a location and day/time on the schedule that you wish to attend. The WHITE blocks represent available appointments, whereas the BLUE blocks in the schedule have already been taken.
- Click on a WHITE block and then fill out some basic information about what you're working on in order to confirm your appointment.
We look forward to working with you!
Feedback & Questions
Have you visited the Cornell Writing Centers recently? Would you like to offer us your feedback? Click here: WC Feedback