You are here
GRADUATE WRITING SERVICE with funding from the Graduate School
The GWS is CLOSED for the summer!
Follow this link for other tutoring opportunities: http://knight.as.cornell.edu/wc
GWS tutors – experienced writers and teachers of writing from multiple disciplines – work with Cornell graduate students, post-docs, and faculty to refine and develop strategies for drafting and revising their writing and teaching materials.
Writers and teachers of writing can schedule face-to-face meetings or online appointments (using an internet-based video and messaging platform). Tutors can also provide written feedback on drafts through our eTutoring system.
Come WRITE with us!
- Dissertation chapters
- Seminar papers
- Research proposals
- Conference presentations
- Professional articles
- Job letters & dossiers
- Teaching statements & philosophies
- Teaching materials | writing assignments & lesson plans
During a GWS session, tutors may help writers to:
- get started with writing and teaching projects by brainstorming organizational schemes, evaluating research materials, defining research questions.
- explore ways to shape coherent arguments, make strong use of evidence, work with appropriate citation conventions.
- consider questions about depth of analysis, organization, thesis statements, audience expectations, paragraph development, style, sentence structure.
- identify patterns of errors in grammar or usage in order to develop effective strategies for line-editing.
Although GWS tutors are happy to address large issues of focus and organization, they can only work with small portions of text (no more than 10 pages) during a typical 60-minute session.
Go to Appointment@GWS to schedule an appointment!
Feedback and Resources:
- Have you visited the Graduate Writing Service recently? Would you like to offer us your feedback? Click here: GWS Feedback.
- For answers to questions about the Service or if you need special assistance, contact Dr. Tracy Hamler Carrick, Knight Institute Writing Workshop Director and Graudate Writing Service Director.
- Download our Editing Policy HERE
- Download our Writing Resources Handout HERE