You are here
GRADUATE WRITING SERVICE
Fall 2017 Schedule
First Day of Operations: Monday, September 25
Last Day of Operations: Friday, December 1
Graduate writing consultants – experienced writers and teachers of writing from multiple disciplines – are available weekdays and evenings to discuss specific pieces of writing or questions about writing.
Cornell graduate students can request appointments from time to time or on a regular basis when they want one-on-one support to refine and develop strategies for drafting and revising effective scholarly writing.
During a GWS session, graduate writing consultants may help writers to:
- get started with writing projects by brainstorming organizational schemes,evaluating research materials, defining research questions.
- explore ways to shape coherent arguments, make strong use of evidence, work with appropriate citation conventions.
- consider questions about depth of analysis, organization, thesis statements, audience expectations, paragraph development, style, sentence structure.
- identify patterns of errors in grammar or usage in order to develop effective strategies for line-editing.
Although graduate writing consultants are happy to address large issues of focus and organization, they can only work with small portions of text (no more than 10 pages) during a typical 60-minute session.
Visit https://cornell.mywconline.com for more information or to schedule an appointment.
Feedback and Resources:
- Have you visited the Writing Centers recently? Would you like to offer us your feedback? Click here: Writing Centers Evaluation
- For answers to questions about the Service or if you need special assistance, contact Dr. Tracy Hamler Carrick, Knight Institute Writing Workshop Director and Graudate Writing Service Co-Director.
- Download our Editing Policy HERE
- Download our Writing Resources Handout HERE